NEW NAME

Yes. I changed the name of my Blog. Why?
First and foremost, I reserve the right to change my mind.
Second, I implemented the right to change my mind.

The new name, ‘Living Life to the Best of Your Possibility’, lends a positive arc.
The mission for this Blog is for people from all walks of life, to discover self-empowerment, inspiration, education and advocacy.
Through sharing either my own or others’ stories, we are able to create community and open communication for the betterment of people with and/or without disabilities.

These opportunities to share create ‘possibilities’ for an enhanced global experience, for authentic inclusion, for deeper
connection for Self and with others.

Here is an example.

Last week I attended the National Poetry Slam 2013 in Boston, Massachusetts. I attended to support our local team, LoserSlam, compete for the National Title. The team didn’t win the competition. We are celebrating their return with Stanley Cup Champion fanfare. We applaud the poets, not the scores-a NPS mantra.

We did commune. Our supporters and poets found each other, encouraged each other during bouts, shared meals and shared experiences collectively and individually. The interaction(s) proved authentic interaction and inclusion is possible.
I participated in workshops by day and Slam Poetry by night.
My crew toured by day. I had chances to walk about during the day. I chose to stay within the hotel and attend workshops. This sovereign choice left energy for night life within the Poetry Slam hub.
Did I want to go on walking tours? Yes.
Did I want to go to the museums? Yes.
The transit system(s) did offer ample disabled provisions.
Did I get frustrated? Yes.
Did I have a blast during the evening? Yes.
Did I leave myself the opportunity to remain in good health by forfeiting daytime jaunts? Yes.
Did the National Poetry Slam 2013 deliver inspiring poetic entertainment? You bet.
Education? Absolutely.
Ice cream? Deliciousness in a cup.
My choices allowed me to enjoy the event. I can return to Boston with the intention of touring. I drove there once, I can drive there again.
The point is –
I attended NPS 2013.
I participated.
The first NPS 2013 workshop specifically tailored time-slot for people with visible and invisible disabilities. This was the first workshop gathering disabled poets. We organized and created a manifesto to improve the event for people with varied abilities. With the power of the collective, we can create a positive impact for future poets and attendees.
Satisfying? Beyond measure.
My choice to go, leave my comfort zone, endure personal bouts with self-acceptance, advocate for future poets and attendees and enjoy the company of beloved friends, morph national and international strangers into acquaintances and friends made my first NPS experience pretty amazing.
I would not have changed a moment, even with free will to change my mind.

6 Comments (+add yours?)

1. SaraEve Daly-Fermin
    Aug 21, 2013 @ 17:07:02

i am honored to know you enjoyed the Disability and Invisible Illness Reading! It was truly the best part of my entire week. I also wanted to let you know that I brought up the difficulties that less able-bodied individuals had to face at the NPS and how we can avoid it in the future. because of this, there is now a committee, headed by myself, to make sure all future PSi events are fully accessible and disability friendly. point being, this reading was not the last of us! so much love.

• Victoria Kaloss
      Aug 21, 2013 @ 20:13:47

SaraEve, thank you for your vision and good-hearted pluckiness to jump start the week and
      oh, PSi’s future. I enjoyed the reading being held early in the event because throughout
      NPS 2013 National’s week the group participants had already fostered relationships.
      All week long there were chit-chats, nods and hugs shared between VIPERS.
      So appreciative to you and everyone for continuing the conversation. Go VIPER committee!

2. kirstenlaulainen
    Aug 21, 2013 @ 20:38:17

Great blog post! You’ve learned something that a lot of people struggle with learning, and that is the importance of personal sovereignty. The ability to make choices for yourself, that are in alignment with what you desire, and what your priorities are. This is not only a great lesson to learn in the personal aspect of life, but also the writing one. As I’m sure you know, when you meet on the page, it’s just you and creative potential. Or, at least that’s the way it should be. So as in life, as in writing, the biggest thing you can do is to have faith in your choices, and trusting yourself to make the right choice for you and your book, or in this case you and your poetry event! Nicely done!

• Victoria Kaloss
      Aug 22, 2013 @ 04:16:57

Hi, Kirsten~~Thanks for commenting. I am passionate to share my experiences to assist others in any way. We all need to realize we are never alone.
      Be speaking with you soon……..

3. patpaints43
    Sep 12, 2013 @ 15:30:46

Love your new name and your new attitude/perspective! Exercising one’s free will and the ability to choose (including changing our minds!) is vital to living life with joy & contentment. Pacing is also vital, as this last decade in my own life has demonstrated. You were my best teacher in that regard. And you continue to grow & change. Fantastic! Love it and love you!

4. Victoria Kaloss
    Sep 15, 2013 @ 14:44:47

Thanks, Pat – We do enjoy learning and loving with and through each other. Friends like you encourage me to follow my trail blazer heart with chin-up pride, leg shaking vulnerability and grateful mindset. Love You too 🙂